A dad from Devon was left with horrific injuries to his hands after an incident at his work.
Dean Delahaye, from Barnstaple, had to have all eight fingers amputated after his hands were crushed by a metal rolling machine.
The 35-year-old worked for flue and chimney manufacturer SF Limited. He was feeding flat metal sheeting into the machine when the incident took place on 5 September 2019. He spent 54 days in hospital and had numerous operations. More than three years on, he is still waiting for prosthetics to be fitted.
Due to the severity of his injuries, Mr Delahaye went on to say how he was even unable to pick up and feed his daughter, who was born after the incident.
“It makes me feel like a burden to my loved ones, with all the assistance I need daily,” he said.
Yeovil Magistrates Court heard that an investigation by the HSE found the company had failed to adequately assess the risks and implement the necessary controls when the roller equipment was installed. They subsequently missed a further opportunity to reassess the risks following a significant change in the way in which the machine was operated.
S F Limited which trades as SFL Flue and Chimney of Pottington Business Park, Barnstaple, Devon, pleaded guilty to breaching Section 2(1) of The Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974. They were fined £26,000 and ordered to pay costs of £12,000.
Ensure you, and your colleagues, can work safely and without risk of injury. Identify the risks posed by dangerous parts of machinery and ensure that relevant controls are implemented to minimise the potential for harm.
To discuss your training requirements feel free to get in contact: