top of page
Search

Textiles firm fined £60,000 after worker’s arm dragged into machine

A textiles company has been fined £60,000 after a man broke his arm when it was dragged into machinery.


An investigation by the Health and Safety Executive found the man had been operating a large fabric spooling machine when a brake malfunctioned. During his attempt to manually slow the rotation of the machine, his sleeve became caught up with an exposed grooved spindle and his right arm was drawn into the mechanism. It became twisted by the rotation of the machine which broke both major bones in the forearm and caused serious tissue damage.


HSE guidance is available on how important it is for employers to consider how their workers use machinery and to have adequate arrangements in place to ensure it remains safe to use.

Despite the company being aware of the risk posed by the moving spindle, they failed to either remove or suitably guard this part of the machinery. As a result of his injuries, the man spent four nights in hospital and was unable to return to work for six months.


A Magistrates Court heard that Pin Croft Dyeing and Printing Co. Limited had neither guarded nor removed the exposed grooved spindle despite being aware of the risk it posed to employees.


The company pleaded guilty to breaching section 2(1) of the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974. They were fined £60,000 and was ordered to pay £2.147 costs at a hearing at Preston Magistrates Court in January 2024.


It is so important to get your risk assessments (RA) & method statements (MS) correct when you assess risk. If you need more information about how to complete comprehensive RAMS please call one of the team on 01782 438813 or email hello@youcandoit.training.


Alternatively we have more information on our website here

15 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

Company fined after worker injured by 300kg batteries

A recycling company in West Yorkshire has been fined £120,000 after batteries weighing at least 300kg fell onto an employee and severely injured him. Three workers had been restacking the batteries th

bottom of page