top of page
Search

Company fined after worker’s leg amputated

A waste and recycling company has been fined after an employee’s leg was amputated after he was run over by a telehandler.


The man, who was 51 at the time, was working for Eco Waste and Recycling Limited at the company’s waste transfer site on Hullocks Pit Hill, Newnham Road, Newnham, Hertfordshire, when he was struck from behind by a reversing telehandler on 16 March 2022. He had been sorting recyclable materials by hand.


This incident led to the man’s right leg being amputated from above the knee.


An investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) found Eco Waste and Recycling Limited failed to adequately segregate vehicles and pedestrians at its site and failed to act quickly on the findings of risk assessments.


Eco Waste and Recycling Limited, pleaded guilty to breaching 4(1) of the Workplace (Health, Safety and Welfare) Regulations 1992 and Regulation 5(1) of the Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations 1999. The company was fined £30,000 and ordered to pay £3,102.50 in costs at St Albans Magistrates’ Court on 4 May 2023.


HSE inspector Adam Johnson said: “This incident could so easily have been avoided. Segregation measures should have been in place between vehicles and pedestrians. Companies should be aware that HSE will not hesitate to take appropriate action against those that fall below the required standards.”


Don't risk the safety of your employees! Ensure your Health and Safety Training is up to date, and that risk assessments are completed and findings acted upon.


Not sure what you require? Why not get in contact, and have one of our trainers visit your site to complete a Health and Safety Audit!


Contact us below:

01782 438813

hello@youcandoit.training




10 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

Company fined after worker injured by 300kg batteries

A recycling company in West Yorkshire has been fined £120,000 after batteries weighing at least 300kg fell onto an employee and severely injured him. Three workers had been restacking the batteries th

bottom of page